5.22.2012

learning to garden

There are many talented and experienced gardeners in our family. I, am not one of them.
I love to imagine myself, years from now, with a big beautiful vegetable garden. 
The plants are spaced properly and planted at the proper times. 
The weeds are picked as soon as they peek out of the ground.
Every morning, the girls and I go out with our baskets and pick just enough fresh produce for the day's meals. 
However, I have absolutely no idea what I am doing.
Thanks to my Mom, I know how to weed properly and I know maybe a few gardening basics.
But, really, Evelynn and I are learning this gardening thing together.
A quick google search of "easiest vegetables to garden" helped me pick 3 vegetable that we all like. 
And then we kind of just went for it.
We weeded, scattered seeds in rows, and made cute little signs to label the vegetables (my favorite part).
It is important to me that our girls learn about real food, where it comes from and how it is supposed to taste. So, even though I am not sure if my garden dreams will ever become reality, it feels good to teach Evelynn just a little bit about this process.





 



The cutest little princess gardener. 

(And I will have you know that since we have planted the seeds, they are actually growing! It's working!) 

2 comments:

Andy and Kaye said...

So proud of you! That's the best way to learn, just go for it. And what little seed wouldn't want to sprout with the encouragement of those cute signs and precious gardeners helper!
KayeK

Ranee Brokaw said...

happened upon your blog from your sisters...just lovely! we have a small garden every year and though I've never had much of a green thumb either, it is fun to try! (and your markers are quite cute indeed!)